Emerging Nations Pilot Program
ICHRIE has become an international organization with members from every continent in the World. At the same time, more and more hospitality and tourism faculty from emerging markets are searching to become a part of our international organization. The greatest challenge is the cost of their membership could equal a week's salary and that makes it impossible for them to join our organization.
After several conversations with the different Federation representatives, current members of ICHRIE, and from individuals from these emerging markets, the ICHRIE Executive Board has agreed to allow us to conduct a pilot test to recruit new members from emerging nations. I do hope that you will support this initiative that is both timely, as well as needed, to expand our international reach across the world.
The Membership Committee recommended to the ICHRIE Executive Committee to create an Emerging Market Category. The Executive Committee accepted our recommendation and, as of January 2012, Federations with emerging markets can offer special rates for Individual and Premium memberships.
Emerging Nations Pilot Program Details
- The Individual Membership rate is $50
- The Premium membership the rate is $500
- Individual Memberships under the program will only receive electronic support. Printed publications will not be provided
- This is a two-year pilot program and the Membership Committee will evaluate it at the end of every year
- The number of memberships eligible for this program are limited to only 10% of each Federation's current membership
- The program is only available to NEW members
The Membership Committee felt that the Federations themselves were in a better position to understand WHICH emerging nations should be included in the pilot program and as a result, over 160* countries were chosen as eligible as "emerging nations." The list of nations is posted on the ICHRIE website. We do anticipate these lists may grow in the coming months.
The program is already off to a promising start with serious interest in the program from four emerging nations: Mauritius, Philippines, Botswana and India! I would like to personally thank the Membership Committee, the Executive Committee, and the Federation leadership for supporting this important initiative. If you have any comments, questions or concerns, please contact me at cboger[at]uh.edu or call me at 01 (713) 743-2610.
I look forward in hearing from you. I value your opinion about this important initiative.
Director of Member Services,
ICHRIE Associate Dean of Academic Programs, University of Houston
IN THE NEWS
- EuroCHRIE Board Election Results 2014
Posted: 7 July 2014
- Nominate a deserving Colleague for a EuroCHRIE Award
Posted: 8 May 2014
- Renew Your Membership Today
Posted: 24 February 2013
- Register for EuroCHRIE 2014
For late papers contact John Fong
Updated: 1 May 2014
- 2014 EuroCHRIE Federation Meeting to be held in San Diego
Agenda & Minutes
Posted: 20 June 2014
- CHRIE Communique
July 2014 issue
Posted: 1 July 2014
- Gala Dinner 2013 - View the report with photos ›
Posted: 1 November 2013
- EuroCHRIE Newsletter - Spring 2014 Edition
Posted: 8 May 2014